24. Church of St. Katherine, Buttery Lane, Teversal||
Name of Building: Church of St. Katherine
Address: Buttery Lane (South Side), Teversal
Grade of Building: I
Date of Listing:
Grid Reference: SK 46 SE
Group Value: Yes
Serial No: 1/17
Parish church. C12, C13. Refenestrated and refitted c.1684. Coursed and squared rubble with lead and slate lean-to and gabled roofs. Ashlar dressings, coved eaves, coped gables with kneelers and crosses.
West tower, nave and clerestory, north and south aisles,
chancel, vestry, south porch incorporated in south aisle.
West tower, C13, raised late C17, 3 stages, has chamfered and plain string courses, stepped crenellated parapet with small pinnacles, and elaborate weathercock. First stage has to west, round headed double lancet in pointed reveal and cross in head. Third stage has on each side, double round lancet in pointed reveal with hood mould. To west, clock in square panel.
Nave clerestory has to south 3 and to north 2 plain double lancets with square headed reveals.
North aisle, C13, 3 bays, has off-centre blocked shouldered door, flanked to left by 2 and to right by single cross mullioned leaded casements.
South aisle has to west, set back bay with cupsed round headed double lancet with hood mould. Over it, plaque with leaves and scroll. To its right, chamfered doorway. Beyond to right, 2 triple lancets with hood moulds. East end has to left C14 triple lancet with intersecting tracery, hood mould and mask stops. To its right, cross mullioned casement with hood mould. Above it, datestone inscribed "P.M.1684".
Vestry, C19, has to east a lancet.
Chancel, 3 bays, has to north single blocked C13 lancet. East end has plain triple lancet with square headed reveal, flanked by single late C18 memorial tablets on brackets. South side has off centre shouldered doorway, flanked to left by round headed lancet with square reveal. To right, late C17 traceried double lancet. Above, to right, C18 sundial.
South doorway, C12, has moulded round headed surround with allegorical figures. Battened door, C13. South arcade, early C13, 4 bays, has 2 round and 2 square piers with filleted demi-shafts. Moulded bases and capitals. Double chamfered and rebated round arches. North arcade, mid C13, 4 bays, has round piers with moulded and water holding bases. Moulded capitals with dogtooth and nailhead. Octagonal responds. Double chamfered and rebated round arches with hood moulds, finials and mask stops.
West end has panelled gallery, 1999684, on shaped wooden posts. Oak winder stair to north with tuned vase stem balusters. C17 low pitched moulded rafter roof with canted span beams with bosses, arch braces, wall shafts and king posts with cusped struts.
North aisle has figure on c13 bracket at east end.
South aisle has to west, chamfered arch to south doorway. C19 boarded roof. C14 chancel arch, double chamfered and rebated, with hood mould, foliate and mask stops. Octagonal responds with nailhead capitals.
East end and south side have stained glass memorial windows, 1877. C19 double purlin roof with arch braces.
Fittings, mainly c.1684, include alter table and windows, 1877. C19 double purlin roof with arch braces. Fittings, mainly c.1684, include alter table and side table with turned legs, 2 C18 carved side chairs, alter rail with bulbous balusters. Desks and bookstands, 1906. Fielded panel box pews. Octagonal panelled pulpit with balustraded steps. Panelled Squire's pew with carved crests and canted moulded canopy with Molyneux Arms, carried on 3 barley sugar columns. Eggcup font with rolled rim on plain stem. C18 framed benefactions board and Royal Arms. 2 C19 Gothic commandment boards.
Memorials include Renaissance Revival wall tablet, alabaster, to Sir Francis Molyneux, 1674, with Latin inscription on apron and crested aedicule with broken ogee pediment on Corinthian columns. Portrait bust. Painted marble monument to Sir John and Lady Lucy Molyneux, 1691. Scrolled apron with arms. Scrolled brackets carrying Ionic columns to aedicule with crested scroll pediment, containing double round headed niche with 2 portrait busts. Marble wall monument to Sir Francis and Lady Diana Molyneux, 1812, by J Kendrick. 2 alabaster floor slabs, re-set, 1538 and 1563. 3 c.19 and early C20 marble and slate tablets. Pedimented tablet with high relief portrait bust to Gwendolen Herbert, 1915. Classical marble and slate war memorial tablet, c. 1920. 2 brasses, 1876 and 1929.
For more information about this church, please see "St Katherine's, Teversal".